Friday, December 30, 2011

Top 5's

Top 5 -- Things I Did Right in 2011

1. Had more Family Night lessons
2. Hugged my girls often
3. Submitted an article to a magazine
4. Spoke publicly advocating for my community
5. Investigated my lack of interest in life

Top 5 -- Things That Need My Attention in 2012

1. My weight and exercise habits
2. Regular Family Night lessons
3. Dates with my husband
4. Playing with my girls
5. Finishing projects


In the LDS Living emails that we get on Mondays, they provide a Family Night lesson. I have taken to printing these and using them for short, meaningful lessons rather than letting the evening go by with nothing taught. I like the format, and I need to make sure some kind of spiritual lesson happens every week. It is just too easy to let the weeks slip by.

Our girls are growing up so fast, and I'm continually reminded by the 5'4" twelve-year-old young woman who walks down the hall every morning. She still lets me hug her which is wonderful. I think I need to add some fun, though. Both girls are used to me being the executive director of day-to-day family affairs, but I'm making plans to fit in some Disneyland trips. When we look back, those fun times are the little moments that will be big moments in their memories.

While speaking out publicly at three school board meetings and writing several letters to the school board members regarding the closure of our elementary school, I used the writing momentum and whipped up an article for Seeing The Everyday, one of my favorite publications. They have accepted my article and will print it in their winter issue. More to come.

I also got to the bottom of my depressive mood and learned about Vitamin D deficiency; all is currently under control and back to normal. Unfortunately, when you spend two years not caring about much, there are consequences. I've gained nearly 40 pounds in the last two years and have gotten out of the habit of regular exercise. I need to begin the process of turning that destructive pattern around and get back on track. I've also got to get projects finished. This problem has been going on longer than two years, and I don't know what I wait for. I need to dig in and overcome this procrastination. It's ridiculous.

Lastly, and most importantly, Kelly and I will celebrate 25 years of marriage this next August. We have forgotten how to court each other and cultivate our relationship. It's easy to do when you get so used to someone and family life is busy. But it's very important for staying connected, and I want to bump it up on the priority list. Hear that, honey? I'll be asking you out a lot this year. Unless you beat me to it, which would be very romantic. Hint, hint.

2 comments:

Michelle Blair said...

Nice accomplishments! Nice list to work on too. It reminds me I need to work on things too. Happy new year!

Kristie K. said...

Love seeing the great things you did! I love them!!!

Don't you love the new year and the idea of being better. What a great list of things to work on. I see some things i need to work on too. Good Luck! and you can do it!We loved getting your card and learning more about the girls and your family.

And you hide 40 ilbs very well. I would have never guessed.